Portability is the process that allows an eligible Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) applicant or participant to move anywhere in the United States where there is a housing agency operating the federal HCV program.
Port Out Process
Portability Move Out (Port Out) is when an eligible family moves their voucher from Menard County Housing Authority to another housing authority.
- If you wish to Port Out, you must contact your Housing Specialist in writing to request portability.
- Your Housing Specialist will determine if you are eligible.
- Applicants must have received their voucher and lived in Menard County Housing Authorities Jurisdiction when they submitted their original application.
- A family that did not reside within MCHA’s jurisdiction at the time of application must lease a unit within MCHA’s jurisdiction for their initial year prior to becoming eligible for portability.
- Participants must be eligible to receive a voucher to move.
- If eligible, your paperwork will be mailed or faxed to the new housing agency.
- Once your paperwork is sent to the new agency, you must follow all their policies and rules.
Portability Request Form
Port In Process
Portability Move In (Port In) is when an eligible family moves from another housing authorities jurisdiction into MCHA’s jurisdiction.
- If you wish to Port In to MCHA, you must contact your current housing agency and request portability.
- Your current housing agency determines if you are eligible to exercise portability.
- Portability paperwork can be sent by mail, fax or e-mail.
- Once your portability paperwork is received, you will be contacted for an intake appointment.
- After your paperwork is processed, you will be invited to a briefing appointment where you will receive your voucher and additional guidance.
- Menard County Housing Authority is currently ABSORBING.
- Housing Authorities may send the portability packet to:
Menard County Housing Authority
Housing Choice Voucher Program
101 West Sheridan Road; PO Box 168
Petersburg, Illinois 62675
PHA Code: IL028